After extensive testing, I found that we could easily up the post count of the sitemap without hurting server resources. The sitemap now supports up to 5 times more links by default.
SEO Tip of the Update:
- Nowadays, sitemaps are a tool for Search Engines, not for users. This means that styling the sitemap just adds unnecessary resource usage.
- Having a sitemap available will make sure your content is reached out faster to the Search Index since the Search Engines know what has changed and when. So be sure to enable the lastmod feature if you frequently post new posts or pages!
- No sitemap? Not a problem! Search Engines will just follow links within your site to find new pages. This default behavior will also continue with a sitemap available, so no pages are missed even if your sitemap has reached its limit.
- Changed: Increased Sitemap amount of posts/pages from 100 each to 500 each.
- Fixed: The Sitemap Transient name now doesn’t conflict with other wrongfully called transient names.
- Changed: Deprecated function hmpl_ad_load(). It’s now the_seo_framework_load();
- Added: Server and site memory usage on sitemap.xml when THE_SEO_FRAMEWORK_DEBUG is defined and set to true(-ish).
- Cleaned up code.
- Wish to change the sitemap post limit? Take a look at The SEO Framework Filters (Since 2.2.9).