Broken WordPress standards
WordPress themes have final control of the title. Far too often, theme authors opted in for "pretty" titles, rather than semantic titles.
This created various issues.
Firstly, titles shouldn't be pretty; they should be unique. This is a fundamental part of SEO as it creates distinction. Secondly, the way WordPress used to handle titles was vague at best. This prevents plugins, among The SEO Framework, from altering the title correctly.
To prevent these issues from happening, new WordPress themes in the WordPress.org repository must follow a more modern standard.
Not all themes have been updated accordingly, and the Title Fix extension will solve that for you.
Is this extension for you?
If you notice your page titles aren't what you set it to be, then yes.
Otherwise, this extension won't have any effect.
How it works
The SEO Framework can detect incorrect usage of the title output. It tries to resolve this automatically, but sometimes that isn't enough.
When the extension is active, it automatically looks for the title in your page's source and overwrites it when found. All this happens before your pages are sent to the page visitor or crawler, in less than 2 milliseconds.
This software package is bundled with the Extension Manager.
Activate Title Fix
All you'll need to do is activate the Title Fix extension.
There is no setup required, and no options are available.
- Added: TSF v3.1 title-fetching support.
- Removed: filter
- In preparation for TSF 3.1.
- This was added to include multisite support for the plugin; but, as this is now an extension, it's automatically supported.
- Improved: Removed redundant UTF-8 check.
- Improved: The extension now enqueues fewer actions when the title is fixed early.
- Improved: The extension also enqueues fewer WordPress actions overall. Which reduces memory usage marginally.
- Fixed: The SEO Framework can now recognize this extension's presence, re-enabling otherwise disabled features.
- Initial extension release.
- This extension used to be a WordPress plugin.